I use classical technique as a base as I believe it is the healthiest and most sustainable way to sing and allow the voice to naturally grow and develop. I usually begin with some warm ups geared toward the proposed repertoire and then move on to what the student has brought to sing. I enjoy teaching any genre of music!Show More Show Less
Teaching since 2014
Working with children check
Teaches students aged 13+
What I aim to do with my students
• Teach vocal health
• Develop a relationship with the student of mutual trust
• Create an environment in which the student feels safe to explore and learn
• Assist in clarifying the goals of the student
• Perfect repertoire provided by the student for public presentation
• Advise the student on theatrical elements such as stage presence, communication and dress
• Music advocacy: explaining the importance of music to the individual as a whole
• Choose repertoire with the student that is at an appropriate level of difficulty and progressing in difficulty sequentially
• Direct the student as to best research and understand their repertoire
• Personally develop a thorough understanding of the student’s repertoire
• Improve student confidence and advising how best to cope with nerves
• Inspire the student to listen to new repertoire so as to develop tone and musical sensitivity
For over 5 years, I've been teaching singing both individually and in small groups. I have 3 years experience with high-school aged students at Ave Maria College, Aberfeldie and 2 years experience privately teaching adults. I have a Bachelor of Music from Monash University and have completed post-graduate level studies in voice in Melbourne, Italy, Germany, France and the UK. I perform regularly and have a developed understanding of the industry.
In the first half of 2018, Piera travelled to France to take her place at the Fabrique Lyrique Operatic Young Artist program in Bourges where she played the Coquette in the world premiere of Fêtes et Cendres. She spent the winter of 2018 in China performing as Constanze Mozart in Magical Mozart, another premiere, for Australian International Productions.
In 2017, Piera covered the title role in L'incoronazione di Poppea for Lyric Opera of Melbourne. The year prior, she toured China playing the Second Spirit and covering Pamina in Die Zauberflöte with the Australian International Opera Company. In addition, Piera performed the roles of Virtù and Pallade in L'incoronazione di Poppea at the Trentino Music Festival in The Dolomites in Italy.
A keen performer of Gilbert and Sullivan, Piera has played Casilda in The Gondoliers (2012) and Aline in The Sorcerer (2013) for Savoy Opera Company, as well as the Plaintiff in Trial by Jury (2015) for Gertrude Opera.
Her performance experiences also include productions of Die Fledermaus (2016), Curlew River (2015), the Australian debut of David Lang’s The Difficulty of Crossing a Field (2015), The Merry Widow (2011-2013), Madama Butterfly (2011), Carmen (2011-2013) and Andrea Chenier (2010).