Aural Skills Lessons
Aural skills are an often neglected part of a student's full musical education, especially when it comes to AMEB exams. I aim to change that by giving you enjoyable, useful ways to learn diverse aural skills!
We'll play by ear, sing solfege (fixed or moveable - whatever works for you!), identify chords and qualities, develop our inner ear, and put all of this knowledge into practice on whatever instrument you care to bring, including voice. Let me demystify the whys and hows of what we learn in aural training, making you a better musician overall and building your confidence in playing and/or singing.
Teaching since November 2009
Teaches students aged 4+
Hi! I'm Jo, a qualified teacher (Grad. Dip Ed) and woodwind player with a Masters in performance.
My passion in life is to find what interests my students and push them to excel through a combination of:
- Using repertoire they understand and enjoy
- Demystifying technique and practice methods
- Meeting and challenging them just above their current level of ability
- Taking the time to explain clearly and concisely why and how we learn
- Engaging them with theory, aural and history knowledge directly related to their instrument and pieces
I have an outstanding student AMEB record, and my pupils continue to excel in their school programs while learning how to love, enjoy and find success in playing their instrument.
My goal is to make students feel valued in every lesson, and through this, to encourage their love of lifelong learning. I hope that your child (or you!) will give me the opportunity to help set goals and then smash them out of the park with my help!