In the 1 hour lesson, I take the student through 2 pages of Essential Elements for Strings Book 1 and 2 for Violin or The Doflein Method for Violin Volumes 2 and 3. I get student to show me what they have prepared then take them through new material with some sight reading so they can stretch themselves. Sometimes student plays with online recording of tunes in book with me. I play with the student to give them confidence. Sometimes I test student with new material to see if they can sight read. Student must provide and care for their instrument and accessories. Student must practice for 2 hours per week in 15 minute blocks. Student must train their ear and fingering by listening to their own instrument not using app to do that for them. Lesson is in a quiet room with no interruptions. There are music theory questions involved to learn how to read music.Show More Show Less
Teaching since April 2009
Teaches special needs
Working with children check
Teaches students aged 10 to 80
- Eileen Stainkamph Memorial Prize from University of Melbourne School of Music for Piano/Theory Grade 5 (1976)
- Violin Grade 5 AMEB
- Piano Grade 6/HSC (1978)
- Music Theory and Harmony Grade 6/HSC (1978)
- Life Member of Waverley Randwick Philharmonic Society Inc
- Graduate Diploma in Information Management - Librarianship (UNSW) (1991)
- Basic Methods of Instruction (TAFE NSW) (1993)
- Cert IV Small Business Enterprise (TAFE NSW) (1998)
- Bachelor of Science (computer science) (UQ) (1987)
Advanced violinist and pianist experience:
- (1991-1998) Years in Waverley Randwick Philharmonic Society as 2nd violinist; (8 years including leader of 2nd violins), tenor (2 years) and secretary (1 year), president (1 year), life member, Sydney.
- (1991-2001) Amateur Chamber Music Society violinist in string ensembles
- (1991-2001) Fiddler in RooRythmics Bush Band, Sydney, (2001-2005) Fiddler in Macarthur Sounds, Sydney, (2005) Fiddler in Ten Penny Bit Bush Band, Orange.
- (2009-2012), (2015-current) Busking folk music on violin in Orange, Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne, Brisbane. Violin busking at Tilt Busking Festival, Canberra, 2009
- Church violinist at Wesley Mission, Sydney (1991-1998)
- Attended May Music Camp in Melbourne and played in youth orchestras as violinist in 1976.
- Specialises in Irish, Scottish and Australiana folk music on violin/fiddle. Over 42 years experience as violinist on classical, folk and jazz music.
My school is exempt from having me registered as a teacher with Queensland College of Teachers because my school is too small. I can get my curriculum certified by Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority so students get a qualification from their studies.
- I studied violin in Golden Square High School, Bendigo, with Miss Margaret Anderson from 1972-76.
- I studied piano, music harmony and theory with Mr Tony Mundy in Belmont, Geelong, Victoria from 1977-78, with Miss Edith Court in Bendigo, Victoria from 1972-76 and with Mrs Brennan in Townsville in 1969-1970.
- My studies with Tony Mundy were added to my Victorian HSC. My marks were sent through to be assessed by the government examiners even though I was taught by a private teacher. These marks helped get me into medicine at the University of Melbourne and demonstrate that private teachers with certified curriculum are adequate to teach a person professionally.
- TAFE NSW teacher at Randwick TAFE and Loftus TAFE in computer studies (1991-93)
- Centre for Continuing Education University of Sydney teacher in computer studies (2000 approx.)
- Online teacher in Web indexing and Linux in own business from 1998-99 approx. with students from USA, UK and Australia with own curriculum.
- Violin teaching in Orange, Canberra, Brisbane and Caboolture since 2009.